![]() |
| Elder Alley, Elder Gee & Elder Martinez |
Man, every week so much happens I don't know how to truly express it all in email. We went on exchanges this week and I was with English Elder Walker! He's from Idaho and is such a stud. Anyways, we had some really good conversation throughout our whole day and talked about some deep stuff. It was a good bonding experience and it was genuinely one of those moments where I felt like I knew exactly why the Lord has me here, at this time, in this position. I truly will think of that exchange as one of the best days of my mission.
At one moment, during the exchange I had to literally stop and just marvel at the situation I was in. I'll give you the run down on where I found myself Friday afternoon. I was walking down a street in 110 degree weather in the baking sun, talking about papusas in fluent Spanish with a 80 year old El Salvadorian lady as she led my companion (who could not understand what we were talking about) and I to the house of her daughter so that I could talk with her (also in Spanish) to try and get her to come to church with me......like what the freak? I'm just a white boy from Spokane, WA who still likes chocolate milks and watching cartoons. How on earth did I get from there to here? Mish life be cray.
Fourth of July was spent proselyting until 6pm and then we had dinner with a family (Mexican food to celebrate America's independence) and then we got to watch The Lion King:D and then we went back to our apartment and watched fireworks. Las Vegas has 0 rules and/or regulations on fireworks and the 4th of July. So we watched as the 12 year old kids in our complex launched off the big high quality fireworks (the kind you usually only see in professional shows) just in the streets. Vegas, Baby! It was a fun time.
My spiritual food for thought for you is this. Is there such a thing as a cure-all gospel answer? Something we can 100% of the time fall back on for support when we need it? I say yes. Think about this quote from Jeffrey R. Holland. "The single most reliable thing in the gospel is Charity. Just doing something nice for someone other than yourself."
I believe that is the spiritual cure-all! Charity! When in doubt, just go do something nice for someone else. If you're lacking faith, if you're having trouble loving someone, if you're feeling depressed, if you are lacking the desire to fulfill a calling or follow the commandments, GO DO SOMETHING CHARITABLE FOR SOMEONE! As we think of others more than ourselves, we are filled with that pure love of Christ, and naturally begin to develop His qualities. It's the answer to anything: when in doubt, go be charitable!
Love you all and hope you had a fun time celebrating Independence Day. The crazy thought is that that was the only 4th of July that I will experience on the mission. I was home for last year's and I will be home for the next one. So hope you had a good one!
God bless America!
-Elder Alley

No comments:
Post a Comment