Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Big 100



Again, no captions were sent with photos. There are 4 missionaries in his apartment, so I'm assuming this is all of them sharing a meal together. I recognize his companion, Elder Maldonado, sitting across from him and I'm guessing that is Elder Smiley on the left of the picture (or Max's right) and Elder Martinez on the right of the picture (or Max's left). (Does that make sense?!)

I keep looking at this photo trying to see what my son is eating while he's away from home. I think I spot orange juice and various leftovers. I'm still not sure what that big bottle of red stuff down at the end is. Any guesses?


Note from Max's mom: We didn't get any emails from him on Monday, so I was kind of worried. He'd written us and said he was feeling pretty overwhelmed by everything when he first got there (apparently, his Spanish wasn't as good as he thought it was and he couldn't understand what anyone was saying to him or about him), so I was anxiously awaiting this week's email to see how he was doing. When nothing came, I was kind of worried. So it was nice to finally get at least a quick email from him today with an explanation of why he hadn't been able to email. (I knew there had been flooding in Arizona, but I hadn't really been looking at the weather reports or thinking that Vegas might be affected.) I'm glad to know he's ok and feeling better every day. Thanks to everyone who's been writing him!!

Max's Email (Sept.9th)
Well, I made it through two whole weeks in the field now. Things are still hard, but each week, each day, is a little bit better than the one before and so hopefully that pattern continues. I want to send big shout outs to all the people that sent me letters this week because they were awesome! Guilian, Rachel Horner, Sarah Sok, Aubrey, Michael, Mom, Chrisha Harris you guys are all the best! It is so cool to know that my friends are still thinking about me. I LOVE writing letters and because I don't get a lot of time on the computer it's the best way to communicate. I would love it if everyone who wanted sent me a letter or send me their mailing address so I could send them a letter!

Anyway, we did a lot of work this week. Some days it was blazing hot and others it dumped rain and the streets all flooded. I have eaten a lot of different foods this past week including sopas, chicharon, pupusas, all sorts of chilies and more. I have taken my Dad's challenge of doing 100 push ups and 100 sit ups every morning and night so right now I'm over 1000 for both in the mission. I need to work out so I don't get fat! I bore my testimony this past sacrament meeting and I introduced myself as the new gringo in the ward and that got a solid laugh from everyone. We teach and contact as much as we can, but at this point I think Ashley has more baptisms than I have lessons. lol. 

I am trying to change my mindset now and focus on the now and the future. While I still miss my old life greatly, I am trying to focus on the person I want to become and the blessings I can have in the future from this. A mission is right around 100 weeks I've figured. So each week is a percent. By the time I have hit 100% I want to have accomplished many different things that will prepare me for the future. I am 8% through right now. I've got a lot of time, but I need to put in the effort if I want to see myself change. It's hard and it's going to be a challenge, but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I am trying to make the most of it! 

Thank you all for your love and support! Feel free to write me!

Elder Alley

No comments:

Post a Comment