 |
| This is my area... |
 |
| It's so "desert-y"... |
 |
| It's really great if you're super into rocks and sand |
 |
| Also in my area |
.jpg) |
| The Rio. Technically in our area, but we don't go there. Lol |
 |
| When it rains, it pours... |
 |
| And your mission car becomes your mission boat |
 |
| Devil Drive. So that's where he lives. |
 |
Ironically, we have some investigators that live on this street.
Taking over the Devil's Territory one soul at a time. :) |
 |
| Our Apartment Complex |
 |
| My room |
 |
Making dinner in a random sweater I found in the apartment.
(Don't worry, Mom, I washed it before I wore it.) |
 |
| Elder Baldwin and his accordion. Yes, he has an accordion. |
.jpg) |
| The Elders in my District: Maldonado (comp), me, Shearer, Baldwin, Martinez & Smiley |
 |
Helping a family move. I love when we get to help people.
Service is the best! |
 |
At a ward activity. We were in charge of the Parable of the Builder or Foundations room
(aka The Wise Man and the Foolish Man) |
.jpg) |
| With Elder Smiley and Elder Alley (in Spanish "alley" is callejon) |
 |
Wise or foolish? You choose.
|
October 20, 2014
So this past week I hit the three month mark and so I am officially about 1/8 done. haha It's a bit early I know to start making statements like that, but it is a milestone! This past week had some highs and some lows (as every week does). The lows were that one day we had 5 lessons planned and all but one canceled on us, and that Satan was trying to do all he could to make me *trunky this past week. Ahh, it was rough. It's been rough knowing that the Holiday Season is coming up (which is my absolute favorite time of year) but that its going to be a little bit different this time around. I am really hoping that I don't get transferred out of the Flamingo Ward next transfer because I have come to know some awesome families that said they would have us for Christmas and it would be nice to have that during a time that I know is going to be hard not to miss home.
Also, I've been missing movies a lot, probably a side effect of having worked at a movie theater for 2 years, and the library we email at has been showing tons of advertisements for movies and information about the Oscar's and such and it's a bit of a distraction because movies were such a big part of my life before this, but I am doing my best to stay focused! That's really the key. The time's when I am not focused on the work are always slower and harder. The problem is that when I try to focus on the work, it's all in Spanish and so at times I don't understand what's going on. Regardless, this is just one of the challenges of being a **Greenie in a foreign language mission. It kinda stinks not being able to follow the conversation or be able to say what I want to, but I am slowly improving and I know that one day I am going to have this down. But, if i've learned anything it is that these 2 years are about sacrifice. Whatever happens to me, happens and I need to just fight through it for my time as a missionary and I will be blessed for it later.
So for the good stuff, we found a couple new people while contacting that said they would be willing to hear our message and so we might be having some new investigators soon! Also, I had a cool moment this week where I truly felt Christ-like love for a person. We were talking to a less active member and his life is a mess. Growing up he went to church and seminary and read the Book of Mormon and was prepping to go on a mission and everything. Things happened and 20 years later he has been involved with drugs and gangs and violence and a divorce and lots of awful things. He is so convinced that he has tried all he can to try and repent and change, but he hasn't felt like God is willing to help him. The problem is that he blames everything and everyone else for his situation and doesn't want to take responsibility and he isn't willing to humble himself to repent and do all that he can to change his life. We talked to him and shared scriptures and did what we could, but we spent most of the time just listening to him so that next time we see him we can prepare a message to give. However, when we left his house, I just felt so bad, but in a way that I wanted to do anything I could to help him. I just felt this sincere desire to help this man, in whatever way I could, to let him know that God does love him and that through Christ he can change and find peace again. We are going to try and meet with him again this week and help him learn about the Atonement and how to properly use it in his life, so I hope that goes well. But, it was an interesting experience to feel genuine Christ-like love for someone and I am going to try and seek more and more opportunities to have that in my life.
Other random stuff. Ripped my suit pants at stake conference yesterday (the gray ones) but an elder in my district says he knows how to sew, so he is going to try and fix them for me. Also Mom, the Facebook page for the NLVW mission musical firesides is called "He Is - A Tribute to Christ" so maybe you can find the page and my embarrassing video now. You guys are seriously awesome. I have the best family and parents ever and I can't wait to see you guys again.
I am doing my best out here! Know that I love and pray for ya all the time! Thanks for everything! Love you guys!
Con amor,
Elder Alley
Translations:
* trunky= thinking about and wanting to go home
**Greenie= a new missionary
No comments:
Post a Comment