January 4, 2016
With the closing of the year 2015 happening this past week and the welcoming of 2016, I found myself reflecting a lot on the events of the past year. First off, I just can't believe how incredibly fast it went. I remember last New Years I was excited because I was heading into my "Blackout Year," or the year when you spend all 365 days of the calendar as a missionary. It seemed like a huge mountain in front of me to climb, yet here I am. And it just passed by in what seems to be the blink of an eye.
However, I think I can say with confidence, that 2015 was the greatest year of my life so far! I have never before grown so much, learned so much, made so many new friends, helped so many people, been helped by so many, grown closer to God, and just felt so satisfied with my life as I have this past year. It was a year for the books without a doubt.
So what does that mean for 2016? Well, I say let's make it even better! I'm so stoked for this year. And I'm especially excited for the next 6 months. Not at all because I want them to go by quickly! I want to savor every last moment I have out here in the field, and I finally feel like I'm just now figuring out missionary work! Haha! It only took me a year and a half, but things are clicking right now like they never have before in terms of how I can work with the wards and members better, how to teach more like the Savior taught, how to be fearless, how to listen to the Spirit, how to be a righteous leader, and all those other things I've been trying all my life to learn. I am in no way a perfect missionary, but everything right now just seems to be clicking, and I want to take advantage of all the time I've got left as a full time servant of the Lord to put them into practice. So, here's to the best year I've had yet in 2015, and here's to making 2016 even better!
This past week was a lot of fun and marked by opportunities Elder Anderson and I had to really learn and apply how to be righteous leaders. There were some cases of disobedience we had to work with, but we were able to sit down with these missionaries and have really good discussions and get down to the core of what things they are going through right now so that we can help them. I think I've learned more about Gospel Leadership this past week than in all my weeks before combined. It was a great experience:) And on top of that for one of our lessons this week we took this kid out to get ice cream and talked with him in the parlor there about life and God and all that and now he wants to start meeting with us consistently!
This next week is the last week of the transfer so we will be getting calls as to where we will be going next transfer. Elder Anderson and I are really hoping we can stay together for another one, but we will have to wait and see. Today officially marks my "6 Months to Sexy" countdown, so it's time to start hitting the push-ups hard. Get ready Dad, I'm coming after ya!
Love you all! ¡Feliz año nuevo!
-Elder Alley
No comments:
Post a Comment