Thursday, January 1, 2015

New, New, New


At the Mission Christmas Conference
(Can you spot Elder Alley in the bottom right?)

Elder Alley's District
Before transfers


December 22, 2014
New apartment, new companion, new ward, new district, new responsibilities, new people to teach, new area, new, new, new. This week has been a lot of adjusting as I have had to, for the first time in my mission but definitely not the last, adapt to a complete change of my environment. It has actually been smoother than I had expected and I am really grateful for that.

The differences are extremely noticeable, though. haha. The area I am in now has a lot more Latinos that live here, which is perfect for a Spanish Missionary! Another cool thing is that, I feel like at times I am back in Del Rio, TX when we are walking some of the streets here because it just looks the same. It has made me have some crazy flashbacks to memories from living in TX which is nuts because I haven't lived there for over 10 years!

Having a companion who has the same level of Spanish as me has been a little difficult as at times we find that neither of us are understanding what the other person is saying and we just have to awkwardly make our way through the conversation, but we are trying our hardest. I definitely feel that I will become more focused on the work and on gaining a relationship with my Heavenly Father during this transfer. 

Being a District Leader is definitely going to be fun, but a challenge as I now have to make sure that I am at least a little up to date on how my fellow missionaries are doing in their areas so that I can help them out by being their representative to the ward when we have meetings with the Bishopric. Plus, I have to start caring for and trying to make sure the needs of the missionaries I am in charge of are taken care of. All in all, I just have a lot more work on my plate that I have to take care of now. It's a lot, but I know that as I get lost in it, it is going to start making the time go by too fast and next thing you know I will be close to coming home!

Overall, the transition has gone pretty good. It has been a blessing to have many packages sent to me by my family for Christmas and to look forward to getting to Skype home on Christmas Day! I'll admit it was really hard to leave the Flamingo Ward right before Christmas. So many families had asked us to come over and be with them on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, and in the Bonanza Ward the families don't really even know who I am yet. 

However, this sudden change has made me appreciate two constants that I have in my life. My family and my Savior. I have found comfort in getting to spend this time of year sharing the gift of Jesus Christ with those around me, and taking time every now and then to reminisce and be grateful for all the many wonderful Christmases I have had with my own family, and that I will have again in the future.

Love you all and I appreciate your support! Remember the true meaning of Christmas! HE is the Gift! Discover him, embrace him, share him.

John 3:16

Con Amor,

Elder Alley

No comments:

Post a Comment